Rome Didn't Fall in A Day.









Objective Truth Exists, and is Accessible to Everyone.

All Human Problems can be Solved with Enough Knowledge, Wealth, Social Cooperation and Time.


Photo: Rusty Peak, Anchorage, Alaska


Translate

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Can We Replace Gasoline By Driving Electric Cars?



I just saw another ad for an electric vehicle.  In light of high gasoline prices, consumers and manufacturers are excited about the possibility of using plug-in hybrids and all-electric vehicles for efficient, clean transportation.  But just suppose for a moment, that the entire US motor-fuel market was converted to electric transportation.  How much power generation would be required?

Currently, the US uses about 9 million barrels per day of gasoline, or 3.3 billion barrels per year (1).   Converted to equivalent kilowatt-hours, about 4.6 trillion kilowatt hours.  By comparison, the current electrical generation capacity of the United States is about 3.9 trillion kilowatt hours (2).   Electrical demand is somewhat less, at about 3.74 trillion kilowatt hours, giving us about 5% excess capacity over demand.

So my question is: where is the electricity going to come from to power all of the new electric vehicles?  To replace gasoline transportation fuels in the United States, we would need to more than double our current electrical generation capacity, adding 117% of new capacity.  This assumes matching the efficiency of gasoline in engine performance, including losses in transmission and battery storage.

In 2010, the capital cost of new electrical generation capacity ranges from about $1000/kw to $5000/kw, depending on the type of generation (3).  To add the required 528 million kilowatts of new generation would cost a minimum of $528 billion dollars, plus associated transmission and distribution costs.


Of course, we would also need to consume an equivalent amount of fuel, to produce power for electric vehicles.  Assuming 117% of our current electrical consumption, and based on our current fuel mixture, we would need to burn about 94 million tons of coal, 2.9 million barrels of petroleum coke, and 826 billion cubic feet of natural gas per month, to provide power for the vehicles.  I will calculate the related CO2 emissions and costs later.


Of course, we will not replace the entire fleet of gasoline-powered vehicles overnight.  And there is some capacity in the existing system to absorb some electrical vehicles.  But a large scale transition to electric vehicles will require major investments in electrical generation, transmission, and distribution.  And the new generation must be a choice of large-scale generation alternatives: coal, natural gas, nuclear, or hydro; or extraordinary growth in intermittent renewable sources (solar and wind), which would require new storage technologies to make those feasible.

Critics have commented that charging vehicles could be accomplished overnight, during non-peaking hours.  This is true.  Still the magnitude of the required power, and the additional fuel consumption regardless of when vehicles are being charged, make the challenge of powering a fleet of electric vehicles truly daunting.

3 comments:

  1. My ex-boyfriend dumped me 8months ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me .I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. once again thank you Dr Godday you are truly talented and gifted. Email: Goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com is the only answer. he can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man contact +19194956404 - WHATSAPP ONLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving the information. This blog is very helpful. I learned a lot from this I hope you will keep sharing such information in the future also.
    visit site

    ReplyDelete